40 dollar inclined bed frame ibt 1Inclined Bed Therapy:  Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free.  Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture, by Andrew K Fletcher.  Read the Success Stories.  Check the Forum.

Making an inclined bed

More
7 years 10 months ago #1333 by Joe
Making an inclined bed was created by Joe
I came across this site and would like to try using inclined bed therapy. I have some health issues I'm hoping to find help with.

The bed I have isn't in good shape so I thought of making a wooden bed. I will go with a twin/single mattress because of my bedroom size. A simple bed without headboard. Can anyone provide a diagram with instructions?

I see some beds with a base of plywood and some with slats. What is the difference of purpose in these method?

Most of the examples of beds I've seen come without a box spring, so I am wondering what is the purpose of the boxspring?

Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #1335 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Making an inclined bed
Hi Joe, hope this is useful

simple bed frame

Gravity, Learn to live with it, because you can't live without it!

More
7 years 10 months ago #1336 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Making an inclined bed
I came across your modification on this video:

I think I might try something like that, but not with the headboard. I just like the slats inside the frame. I will either do a twin or a double bed. I'm wodering when you lift up the side rail and cut it verticle, how much is lost in length, to know how much longer to get the boards.

Thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #1337 by Andrew
The loss in length is negligible as both ends of the side rails are cut diagonally so that head board and footboard are upright.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe

More
7 years 10 months ago #1340 by cinco
Replied by cinco on topic Making an inclined bed
I removed the bed frame, put the box spring and mattress right on the floor and wedged it up with books, in the middle and at the head - just to try it out. That was many years ago and it's still exactly the same. I even hunted down and repurchased a particular old book so as not to run the risk of messing up what was working, LOL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, Joe

More
7 years 9 months ago #1341 by Andrew
Thanks Cinco, you can never put a good book down :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #1342 by Mattress1
Replied by Mattress1 on topic Making an inclined bed
I was wondering if anyone has inclined a foam mattress? Some of these are highly engineered and I was wondering if they would work as intended.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1343 by Andrew
Hi, there are a few companies making inclined foam mattresses and various inflatables, none of which are ideal. Foam for example compresses under our body weight and inflatables are generally noisy and move around a lot.

More
7 years 9 months ago #1345 by cinco
Replied by cinco on topic Making an inclined bed
A regular heavy mattress is easy. You can stop that from moving by blocking it at the foot. Easy. Other than that, I find that it's the weight of the mattress that determines how difficult it is to keep it where you want it.

What you CAN do is make a full cover - like a full pillow case-type cover - and use the cover to wrangle the mattress. And if you do that, you can also add some kind of additional support and weight inside the cover and let the cover do all the work. But you really have to make the cover yourself because ready-made covers aren't tough enough. They're designed to simply be there and not fall apart when you wash them so most are only strong enough to do that.