40 dollar inclined bed frame ibt 1Inclined Bed Therapy:  Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free.  Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture, by Andrew K Fletcher.  Read the Success Stories.  Check the Forum.

Ancient Egyptian Inclined(ish) beds shown on Channel 5 in the UK

• Ani-Boo
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #1540 by Ani-Boo
I was pleased to see 2 of the Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun's inclined (almost) day beds on 'Egypt's Greatest Treasures With Bettany Hughes' on Saturday evening. I've seen shows before which have shown such beds fleetingly in the background, but this is the first time I remember them being singled out to be talked about. The experts believe that they weren't just grave goods, but that they would have been used by the pharaoh in his lifetime. This seems plausible as the beds looked very utilitarian and were unadorned.

The day beds shown weren't perfectly inclined, i.e. they didn't have a completely straight sleeping surface at an acute angle (as some of the ancient Egyptian day beds did), but they did curve upwards at the head end. It would have been good for the experts to have pointed this out and to have at least questioned why the beds were made this way. Maybe next time. There were also bigger beds which were flanked on both sides by elaborately decorated long-legged animals, and which had similarly curved sleeping surfaces.

The show will be repeated on Channel 5 tomorrow at 11:15pm. Failing that, you can watch it on My5. It's a 2 hour show, so if you don't want to sit through it all you will find the treasures of King Tut's tomb at number 2 of Bettany's top 10 countdown. This should be at about 30 minutes from the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.