40 dollar inclined bed frame ibt 1Inclined Bed Therapy:  Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free.  Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture, by Andrew K Fletcher.  Read the Success Stories.  Check the Forum.

Can IBT have a placebo effect?

• Ani-Boo
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #1525 by Ani-Boo
Can IBT have a placebo effect? was created by Ani-Boo
I’m already convinced that I should always sleep on an incline, as doing so has helped me to tackle chronic health issues that have troubled me for years. I’ve been free of these issues (including acid reflux and sleep apnoea) ever since I inclined my bed by 6 inches over 3 years ago. I know that changing this aspect of my daily routine is singularly responsible for this.
However, I’ve also found that my faith in the efficacy of IBT goes further than what I can testify it has affected in my life.
If I get a bruise, for example, or if I feel that I may be getting a cold, I tend not to worry. I think to myself that at least while I’m resting on my inclined bed my blood circulation will be optimised and my airways will be open. I find comfort in my belief that resting on an incline allows my body to passively restore and repair itself while I sleep, by virtue of the effects that gravity has on it.
I can’t say either way if it has or hasn’t had any effect on clearing the bruise more quickly, or on preventing the cold from getting as bad as it would have if I slept horizontally. The point is that I believe that it will, so I don’t worry about it.
Is this a placebo effect, or does sleeping on an incline actually help me in these circumstances?
This a rhetorical question, really, as it has helped me, placebo effect or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #1526 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Can IBT have a placebo effect?
I wrote this in 98 in response to placebo, hope it helps.

A Placebo Effect scenario Bitter pill to swallow?
Post by AndrewKFletcher » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:59 pm

A Placebo Effect scenario Bitter pill to swallow. Fiction or fact?
Patient: Multiple sclerosis, may have acute depression, loss of sensitivity in hands and feet, poor hair and nail quality, no energy, tired all of the time, hardly able to get out of bed. Constant pain in muscles and joints, limbs swollen, repeated chest infections, skin in poor condition, overweight, taking drugs to ease pains, depression and to assist sleeping etc. Most of the time unable to stand, so dependent on sitting in armchair, Wheelchair inevitable.

Prescribed: Sugar pills

Doctor: “Take these two tablets three time per day. I am sure that this new drug will help to ease your condition, it should give you enough energy in a few days to enable you to cope a little better”. Please let me know how you get on.

Scenario
Patient is no longer alone, because the Doctor at least appears to care and is observed to be trying to help. The pills initially stimulate a subtle belief in ones ability to at least make the effort to try to get up. Immediately the body becomes upright, gravity starts to work its magic by automatically stimulating an increase in the circulation of fluids throughout the entire complicated network of tubes and cells of the body. And the longer a person is in an upright position, the more benefits the person receives from the healing affects of gravity.

Day 1 of the new treatment requires a great deal of effort, rewarded only by an increased level of pain. It is at this point that anger, determination, call it what you like, takes over from depression, causing an adrenaline rush, which compensates for the discomfort. A bit like a boxer receiving a blow for the first time, following blows appear to be somewhat less painful.
Day 2 requires a similar amount of effort with little obvious benefits except a few more aches and pains developing from the previous day.

By the end of about two weeks, the extra activity has meant that the fluids are now flowing, as they should be, more freely throughout all of the systems within the body. Although aching, it becomes apparent to the patient that they are in fact doing more than they have done for a long time, and the only thing that could possibly be helping are the pills which are prescribed by the Doctor.
Further visits to the surgery, driven by sheer determination to show the improvements which have already been achieved, coupled with a desire to obtain some more of this wonderful stuff, means a further increase in activity and a breath of fresh air.

Over the following months less time is allocated to the poor bed and chair posture, in favour of mobility, which means an inevitable increase in exposure to the beneficial effects that gravity exerts on the circulation. The depression lifts and sleeping pills are abandoned as a genuine feeling of tiredness takes over due to the effort subconsciously put in to proving that ‘the pill is mightier than the sores’.

Eventually, even the damaged nervous system begins to respond again, simply because gravity opens up the damaged fluid pathways and effects repairs on the damaged myelin.

The Doctor who sees the improvements knows that the miracle drug does not exist. A conclusion that either the problem was all in the mind of the recipient, or the placebo somehow fooled the brain into healing the body is understandably drawn from the evidence.
Giving the illusion for a clear case of mind over matter. The placebo wins another place in the battle of medical remedies, when the real effect is postural based.
Andrew K Fletcher 02 July 1998

Gravity, Learn to live with it, because you can't live without it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.