Having left the offshore Oil / Gas industry in 1992 after 34 years as an Instrument Design Engineer, my medical problems at age 52 years were so disabling that I had to use a walking stick most times for four years due to the absolute weakness on the left side of my body - it felt as if there was nothing there. Consequently without my friendly stick I became very unbalanced -falling from my ankle which did not feel there at that moment. Conversely the right side of my body began to take the weight off my left side. This had a big muscular reaction. I developed large varicose veins down my right lower leg, I lost mobility in my right shoulder, thigh and hip. My right arm I could not lift above my shoulder it was so painful.
When the above was occurring around 1992 I was attending my doctor's surgery every week and was diagnosed with the following...
1. Slipped Lumbar disc
2. Keratitus (eye infection - medical - unknown cure)
3. Tinnitus (ringing in both ears)
4. Sciatica - left leg. severe paralysing pains throughout my body. Most times I walked or stumbled doubled up.
5. Arthritis of the spine and fingers (afraid of touching anything)
6. Varicose veins in right lower leg.
7. Right leg thick fluid swelling below the knee, left leg was similar but not as pronounced.
During these months and years I was daily absorbing a very large amount of medical prescribed tablets from my doctor. Side effects were insomnia and stomach and leg cramps during the night.
Whilst studying in Devon in 1994 I met Andrew Fletcher and his wife and explained my health problems. I studied Andrews literature on sleeping on a slope, which I was very dubious about at first. They then brought my 6 inch sloping bed (designed by Andrew) up to Teesside the following year. This distance from Devon to Teesside was; as his wife said "almost like driving to Scotland" (in those days there were very few motorways)
On delivery,Andrew said the only thing I suggest is to persevere sleeping on the new bed for at least 2 months. NINETEEN years later every night I enjoy my beautiful sleeps on my 6 inch sloping bed - never ever to return to a flat bed.
So what has changed in 19 years?
1. Slipped disc - I do not have any pains except for stiffness early morning, but that disappears through the day.
2. Keratitus - disappeared within weeks never to return.
3. Tinnitus - disappeared also within weeks never to return.
4. Sciatica - disappeared over a period of one year - never to return. Walking stick used for firewood.
5. Arthritis - disappeared within one year. I could play my piano again without pain!
6. Varicose veins - drastically reduced, still visible.
7. Right leg thick fluid swelling - slight fluid to low leg however the more I exercise during the day the less it becomes. Left leg also.
Side effects - gone completely.
After six months of starting to sleep on my sloping bed I weaned myself off ALL drugs. Then from 1996 I occasionally took my own soft drugs from over the counter. However since 2001 I have NEVER taken any form of drugs; either prescribed or otherwise. All residue "Harsh"pain has vanished. What I can say; in all honesty is that now I can MANAGE my day to day pain, and that body management becomes the main purpose of my life. I have taken complete responsibility of my health. Something I would of never of thought possible.
I am extremely grateful towards Andrew Fletcher for having discovered this simple raised bed principle and persistently evolving it under extreme adverse media and medical pressure.
Thank you again Andrew.
David A Baines.